When you’ve been cursed with sensitive skin, using the wrong product can wreak havoc on your skin. It may also lead to – you guessed it – irritation and itchiness.
If you’ve ever experience itchiness or redness after applying skin products, it’s very likely that you’re dealing with a sensitive complexion. For all of you out there with dry, irritable and/or sensitive skin, here’s how to save your skin from a freakout.
1. Ever seen one of those DIY facials on Pinterest? There’s no harm in trying them out, but be sure to do a spot-test on your forearm first. Products you get from the organic section might not necessarily be regulated for skincare, so while they may look good enough to eat, you should really go for something that’s gentle on the skin.
2. Avoid products that smell really good – I know, I know, who can resist them – but it’s for your own good. Products containing perfumes, dyes, and harsh chemicals will often cause skin to become red and inflamed. Unscented products can minimise skin reaction, without stripping away essential oils.
3. If only removing your makeup was as easy as Mulan made it out to be. Use a gentle cleanser to purge your face of makeup. Sloane Inc Lavender Calamine Clarifying Water is easily one of my favorite products. It’s really mild and calming, but it’s still really effective in removing all makeup residue, so nothing stays behind and clogs up your pores.
4. A cup of warm tea every morning can do wonders for your complexion. Instead of white sugar, try to use organic honey. For an added kick, feel free to add a slice of lemon to your cuppa.
5. Most importantly, don’t forget your sunscreen. Sunscreen is a must for everyone, but for those with sensitive skin, it’s downright indispensable. UV rays can wreak havoc on your skin, causing dryness and discoloration, so you should always make sure to apply sunscreen when you go out.